Tuesday, March 23, 2010

18 Minutes or Your Pesach is FREE!

So there I was, toothpick-cleaning my folding chairs, just as surely as Tzipporah, wife of Moshe, did, lo, these many years ago. This, I realize, is the real reason the Jews did not have time to properly let their dough rise - they were too busy cleaning their cabinets, high chairs, couches, and, of course, toothpicking their chairs.

"Time to leave!" announces Moshe.
"But Moshe," complain the People, "I have to let this cleaning solution sit for 2-3 minutes on the stovetop before I can properly scrub it!"
"Oh," says Moshe, "you're right, we can't leave yet. Just as long as we get out of here before the dough rises, 'k?"
"Dough? Rising? Who has gotten around to cooking yet? We haven't even touched the pantry!"

Anyway, when discussing with LISA the irony of how a holiday which is based primarily on speed now takes us endless hours to prepare for, we came up with a brilliant idea.

Are you ready?

The Eighteen Minute Clean!

Clean whatever you can in 18 minutes or less! Make sure not to go over by even a minute! Good idea, right? Let me guess - you're already implementing it in your house, right now. Good for you, I say!

Well, as for me, I guess I should get back to the kitchen now. Or, rather, the Shrine to Paper Towels. Only 14 minutes left!

5 comments:

Shani Berger said...

Love the idea! It goes with my theory of "good enough". I apply it to most things in life. Have a Chag Sameach!

OneTiredEma said...

More time to read the paper! It's a winner!

Re: paper towels, I am using Bounty for my Pesach cleaning. Really, best aliyah decision ever.

kathleen said...

I've heard of the 30 minute cleaning rule but I like the 18 minute rule even better!!!

Minnesota Mamaleh said...

nicely played. nicely played indeed. :)

Cheryl said...

I read this entry as a break to my Pesach cleaning as you suggested. I was hoping you had an actual method to the 18 minute theory!
Chag kasher v'sameach!