Monday, December 20, 2010

Feeling Royal

Well, I would like to thank all the Loyal Readers, LOyal Readers, and DADZ (you're in a category all your own, colon + right parentheses) for one of the most spirited discussions to ever take place in the comments section of aliyahbyaccident. I am looking forward to meeting all of you when we have our grand Cable is NOT Crap Party at Momz and DADZ's new pad, may it be built speedily in our days.

************************************************

And now, I present Scene from a Bedroom.

I am sitting on Ariella's bed, and we are saying shema together.

Ariella: Mommy, why do we have to say "baruch shem k'vod" quietly?

Mommy: Because it's what the malachim say and we don't want to act like we are like the malachim. [Or something. As I'm saying this to Ariella my brain is frantically whirring. Am I making this up? I'm pretty sure I learned this at some point. But is this one of those explanations that we give kids - like the whole covering-the-challah-so-it-won't-be-embarrassed thing - and then there's really a grown-up explanation that I never learned? Oh God. She's going to find out that Mommy doesn't really know anything - except for nivim, for in those I have no equal - and I will be so embarrassed. Like the challah. Or not. Help!]

Ariella: Mommy, that's not true.

Mommy: I knew it! Oh boy, here it comes.

Ariella: Because you told me we don't have malachim anymore. We have a rosh memshalah.

So we discussed the difference between a "malach" and a "melech." Something I know about. Phew.

7 comments:

MOMZWIFEOFDADZ said...

congrats on squeaking by yet another penetrating question by a child. May you continue to come up with creative responses and/or lie well. Not that I EVER did that. Or DADZ. Oh, wait a minute, except for telling Leezy she went with us to Disney World even tho she wasn't in any of the pictures....except that.

Risa said...

Oh boy, Gila, that girl really keeps you guys on your toes. How many years do you have until you attend kol nidray together, iy'h? You might want to explain it again then and how yom kippur differs. But, at any rate, kudos to you for making the time for saying shema together with Ariella. You're a wonderful mom!

Dadz said...

GREAT STORY -

SPEAKING OF "MALACH" VS "MELECH", MANY YEARS AGO, A RABBI IN BALTO. REFERRED TO THE "DEAD SEA" AS THE "YAM HA-MELECH".

SO IT'S NOT JUST AN ISSUE FOR 7-YEAR OLDS.

OneTiredEma said...

LOL. And I had no idea of your expertise. I will be calling. And by calling I mean texting. But you knew that.

BubbyT said...

and the difference between melech and malach you learned in third grade...I remember your teacher making a big fuss over knowing the difference!!

Baila said...

Wait a second. The reason you cover the challah is NOT because you don't want it to be embarrassed by the wine?? So then what is it?

Gila Rose said...

Well, I did have the top third grade morah in the country, if not the world, didn't I? :)

Baila - I think it's something about the lechem mishnah and how it was covered on top and on bottom so we cover our bread the same way. Or maybe it was because of the mon. Or maybe they're all connected. Anyone want to chime in here?